Thursday, May 3, 2012


I agree with Mr. Lee Mitchell's commentary on the legal age for consumption of alcohol. Why is it that a person can sign his life away to government but he can’t drink? I’ve heard that military bases allow underage people to drink, but that’s not something that I can confirm. Just like Mr. Lee I am a firm believer that a young adult of the age of 18 would have a cognitive mind to make his or her own decision.
If tomorrow I became the person in charge of the making the decision to legalize alcohol to 18 year olds; I would say yes, but under one condition. I will only allow young adults the age of 18 in college to consume alcohol and not high school seniors. Why? Because I feel that high school senior are too irresponsible to have the privilege to buy alcohol. There is definitely a maturity gap between a high school 18 year old and a college one. I also feel that if a high school student can buy alcohol, he/she could provide a bridge for underclassmen to get their hands on alcohol. In the end could possibility lead to more social problems that teens already have. The reason why I would agree to lower the drinking age is because it could provide a source of income for our economy. Let’s be honest here, underage college student drink alcohol. They are going to get their hands on it just by going to parties and what not. So there is no point in limiting them from buying and consuming alcohol.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I agree with Mr. Mitchell’s argument that a young adult at the age of 18 can make his/her own decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment